SIX YEARS AGO-----I made a decision to apply to volunteer my time on two governor appointed councils and making an impact on the lives of people with disabilities. I knew in my heart that this opportunity was not going to come around in the distant future and wanted to get to know lots more amazing people. I obviously had a lot of questions running through my mind about what was clearly expected of me in the role as a council member among so many other things. I made a good share of mistakes along this journey that helped me draw closer to my Savior than ever before and to know he would take care of everything else brought peace to my heart. I was able to feel his love for me not only as being one of many council members within the disability community, but as one of his daughters who wanted nothing more than to give this her best possible shot. If you have known me long enough, I did shed a lot of tears and let out emotions that easily should have been kept to myself for long periods of time and as I look back on what this experience taught me is that nobody is expected to know everything or let alone be the perfect council member.
I knew coming into this experience was not going to be easy at times and feeling like maybe I should have waited a little bit longer to be a part of them. I also knew that my role on these councils was so very much needed as well as crucial into what had to be done while participating in every meeting. I am truly grateful for the privilege that I had to serve in various leadership roles and stepping up to the plate when things had to be taken care of in a timely manner. I really loved getting to make new friendships with so many people who are passionate about making sure they are being heard and continuing to be an example to those they meet along the way. I did not necessarily expect changes to happen that were clearly meant to help all of us grow while representing organizations who continue to do so much behind the scenes and cheering me on to keep going.
One of the biggest lessons I took from this experience is doing your best is all that you can do on being a new council member as well as maintaining respectful and professional boundaries with so many people who dedicate their time to making the disability community a better place. I did not necessarily learn this particular skill very fast in any manner, but it did give me this sense of understanding what is socially appropriate and what is not. I most definitely had to give myself some grace in the process of all this and knowing it's only going to help me trust in the Lord even more than I ever thought possible. He made certain that I was not in this journey alone even when times felt unbearable and next to impossible with all I had on my plate. He was truly with me every step of the way and gave me comfort when it was clearly something I needed at a moment when I almost wanted to give up. I am grateful for his role in my life and giving me the chance to try again while striving to be a disciple of him every time I participated in some kind of an event or whatever the case scenario was.
Looking back on this experience from six years----I have definitely come a long way from where I was prior to applying to be on these councils that serve the disability community. I learned to be patient with myself a lot more and knowing that everything has a timeline made this experience truly something that will forever be close to my heart. This six year journey was not at times anything but easy for me to say the least and knowing I had a good support system to encourage, motivate, believe in me to do things to my full potential among so many others that led me to where I am now. I know this is only going to be the beginning of what is to come next and can only hope for the best in whatever lies ahead for a new chapter waiting to be opened. I will continue advocating as much as I can possible and being the best version of myself that I can become long after this journey concludes. I know there is a lot more good things out there I can hopefully take part of and learn even more about what this beautiful community has to offer.
(To Be Continued)
No comments:
Post a Comment